Lead Data Engineer
Hybrid - NYC, New York
Who Are We?
- Our Mission: Increase government transparency to connect and empower. We're building the first "gateway" that helps businesses and individuals make sense of messy government data.
- Why: Corporations, lobbyists, non-profits, and individuals alike are still using spreadsheets and archaic government websites to understand how bills impact their industry. They deserve a 21st century tool that streamlines how we make sense of pending legislation, and enables a more transparent and accessible lobbying process.
- Investors: $2.6M+ pre-seed led by WndrCo, Motivate Venture Capital, Amplify.LA, StageVP, Jarl Mohn (Founder of E! & Former CEO of MTV & NPR), Nick Allen (Founding Product Designer at Snapchat), and Hon. Tony Coelho (Former Congressman, US House Majority Whip, & Primary Sponsor of American Disabilities Act.
- Customers: Include the California State Library, Bay Area Council, California Business Roundtable, Los Angeles County Business Federation, and California News Publishers Association.
- Team: Passionate and hungry (both literally and figuratively), looking to build cool stuff to benefit everyone!
- Where: HQ in Sacramento, Abstract Engineering based in NYC.
- Hybrid: We are a hybrid/remote-first setup with once weekly in-person meetings, but working is predominantly done from home.
- The role of Lead Data Engineer consists of a wide range of responsibilities regarding the way unstructured data from all levels of government is collected, sanitized, structured, and scaled to ensure that customers receive insights in a timely manner.
- This role also includes having a say in how feedback is converted into features, writing up and reviewing documentation, and implementing core features of the platform in a scalable and efficient manner.
- Specifically, the goal of the person in this position is to manage the blueprinting, implementation, and architecture of Abstract’s data pipelines.
- As the work expands to adding more services that collect local level and state-specific data among other things, the person in this position will be responsible for maintenance and optimization of this system, which includes any other services built to provide said data to the Abstract product. Eventually, this position will grow to a managerial role as the team grows and adds more engineers to work on collecting requested data.
- Experience with Python and its frameworks (Django, ScraPy, FastAPI, etc.): Previous experience (3-5 years minimum) in the aforementioned tools, or similar ones, ready to be used upon employment.
- Experience in a Fast-Paced Work Environment: Effectively estimating and committing to work.
- Experience with Cloud Technologies: Experience working with AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Communication: You understand tricky topics, both in writing and in person. You communicate clearly and with precision.
- Fast Learner: You quickly learn new concepts, and you easily pick up new skills.
- Attention to Detail: You exercise astonishing attention for detail in everything that you do.
- Delight: You go the extra mile for your customers, and constantly find new ways to delight them.
- Inquisitive: You are curious about your customers, and want to understand their needs.
- Determination: You love challenges, and persist when problems become complex.
- Self-motivated: You are driven, and able to work in a fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous work environment.
- Efficient: You move quickly and effectively, and always find ways to achieve more.
- Passionate: You’re passionate about politics and/or government. 🇺🇲
- Well versed in California legislative processes - comes from a lobbying and/or advocacy background.
- Solid understanding of Docker, Apache Airflow, and Serverless Architecture on AWS.
- $85,000 - $140,000 Annual Salary
- Favorable Equity
Perks and Benefits
- Full autonomy in a high-growth startup.
- Work with a small tight-knit team, passionate about making government more transparent and accessible via thoughtful design that is relied on by countless organizations for their daily work.
Generous Time Off 🏝
- Unlimited PTO & Sick Leave
- Paid Federal Holidays + Election Day 🇺🇲
Taking Care of Your Future 🙏
Available Health Insurance Policies
- CCSB Kaiser Permanente Platinum HMO 0
- CCSB Kaiser Permanente Gold HMO 250
- CCSB Blue Shield Gold On-Exchange 350
401(k) with a Company Match
- Our plan provides you an opportunity to defer compensation for your long-term savings (Pre-tax and Roth).
- We will match up to 3.5% of your total eligible compensation.
💡 Interested? Email us your resume at: email@example.com
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Start Tracking Bills with Abstract
Get Started Today
AI Powered Bill Search
Create Real Time Reports
Send Superior PDF Deliverables
Stay Updated on Mobile