2024 Legislative Session: How Abstract Users Can Set Themselves Up for Success
✓ Review Past Legislation: With the new year upon us, it is crucial to acknowledge the significance of legislative issues from the previous session. Ensure a thorough examination for any recurring legislative topics that have persisted from earlier sessions.
- Review past legislation with Abstract’s powerful legislative search that dates back to 1989.
- Use Abstract’s Search page or create a Bill List to view all Regular or Special Session bills using the Session Filter.
- View Legislators' vote history and Staffer contact information on specified bill pages.
✓ Build Meaningful Partnerships: Strengthen your advocacy efforts by leveraging and expanding your network. Identify key legislators, committees, and influencers pertinent to your organization's interests.
- Contact committee members, staffers, contact information, and more using Abstract’s in-product Directory and Author info on the Bill Page.
- Check out this article authored by Abstract advisor Chris Micheli about how to write an effective advocacy letter.
✓ Bolster Internal Communication: Solid internal discourse is key to overall strategy, maintaining organizational leadership, and providing clear reports to stakeholders about relevant legislative developments.
- Use Abstract’s Public Comment Sharing to request comments from anyone outside of your workspace. Synthesize opinions with the built-in Analytics page
- You can even share comments in spreadsheet format using Export CSV
- Use Abstract’s Notes to append your thoughts, letters, and comments to individual bills. Then, display these Notes on your shared Lists & PDF Exports.
✓ Engage Externally: Cultivate outward-facing communications to enhance your organization. Crafting effective public statements, position letters, and testimonies can contribute to your organization's effectiveness.
- Submit letters of support or opposition, by accessing the California Legislature Position Letter Portal directly from the Homepage of your Abstract account.
- Attach letters of support or opposition at the top of your Abstract Bill List and bill-specific Notes for quick reference.
✓ Stay Informed: Maintain an awareness of what legislative deadlines, bill hearings, and/or introductions are on the horizon. This is supremely important for navigating the legislative landscape.
- Download, save, and/or print Abstract’s 2024 CA Legislative Calendar to stay up to date this session.
- Create a Calendar Report by selecting “Committee Hearing/Floor Session” in Edit Settings to see which of your bills of interest are set for hearing.
- Keep an eye on the Daily File for hearings every day. Simply click “Add to Calendar” to save hearings to your personal calendar.